Welcome to the ScotGEM stories editors of 2023/2024!

Hello everyone from the current team of editors! We have got some new members joining the existing team of Amber, Lydia and Olivia and to start off our posts for 2023/2024 we thought they could introduce themselves. We have two new editors from first and second year, and one from third year joining the team, so there is a good representation across the years now!

Firstly, our first years, Olivia and Eleanor.

Olivia: “My name is Olivia Whittle Wright and I’m a first year ScotGEM student! Previously, I studied Population Health and Medical Sciences, for my Undergraduate degree, and a Medical and Healthcare MSc by Research, investigating co-exposure of micro(nano)plastics and indoor/outdoor particulate matter using an in vitro model of the alveolar barrier, at Swansea University. One of the key factors that attracted me to ScotGEM was the ability to move around and explore Scotland, whilst also studying rural, holistic medicine.”

Eleanor: “Hi, my name is Eleanor, and I’m a 1st year ScotGEM student! I previously studied Biomedical Sciences with a specialisation in Genomics as my undergraduate degree, and then a Masters in Genomic Medicine where I learned how genomics can be applied clinically including such as in creating targeted predictive biomarkers, and using novel techniques like spatial transcriptomics to better understand the structures of cancers in-situ.”

Next, our second years, Emy and Anna.

Emy: “Before starting ScotGEM, I studied physiology, but I was also interested in the links between basic and clinical sciences. I am particularly drawn to care in marginalised communities. Since starting the course, it has been interesting learning from doctors and patients. As I enjoy going for walks and hiking, being in Scotland has been great because of its scenic views.”

Anna: “Hello! My name is Anna and I’m second year ScotGEM currently in Dumfries but about to move to Inverness! I did my undergrad in genetics before joining ScotGEM. I love that I can explore lots of new places whilst on the course and I enjoy the emphasis on patient centred care.”

Finally, our third year, Josie.

Josie: “Helloo! I’m Josie, a third year ScotGEM currently on my LIC in the Highlands. I live on the Black Isle and enjoy the gym, climbing, walking & occasional drawing. But what I enjoy most is a brew & blether with pals, which is mainly why I joined ScotGEM Stories. I hope through this we can share a wee bit of connection, enthusiasm, laughter and inspiration with you.”

Finally, welcome, or welcome back, to all the ScotGEM students for 2023/24! We are all excited to be continuing the journey of ScotGEM stories, so if anyone has anything for us they would like to write feel free to get in touch with any of us!

Your team of ScotGEM stories Editors