West is Best

If you don’t believe me, Princess Anne once said, “Sailing on a sunny day in Scotland is the nearest thing to heaven anyone will ever get on this earth…” She should know, with her near 30-year experience sailing her 44-foot yacht around Scotland every summer.

Scotland has some of the best scenery in the world, but the crème de la crème is found on the West Coast. Even the film industry has taken advantage of the landscapes, from 2001: A Space Odyssey to Prometheus. Even four different Bond films included scenes shot around the West Coast. Sailing around the 750 rugged seclusions of Scotland’s Islands is one of the best ways to appreciate the breath-taking views and rare wildlife. It includes some of the most varied sailing, from secret inner passages near the mainland to the third-largest whirlpool in the world. With unpredictable wind and weather, it is near impossible to make plans and stick to them, so I’ve learnt to embrace the phrase ‘go where the wind blows’ quite literally.

I have had a love of the water since I was a child. I learnt how to sail in my early teens, but dinghy sailing wasn’t what I wanted to be doing. I had a greater sense of adventure, which I started to appreciate a little more when I studied navigational theory.

Sailing the West Coast started when my partner bought a boat 3 years ago, but connections to the islands go back to my childhood. Rather than simply getting a CalMac ferry across to the islands, we can immerse ourselves in the adventure and find little secluded spots all along the coastline. Each evening can be spent in a new anchorage with a new seascape, in the fresh air and ever-changing atmosphere. In our self-sufficient floating home, there isn’t any hassle of traffic jams or arranging accommodation. It is even cosier than camping.

As the waves lap against the side of the boat, we can sit on the deck with freshly caught seafood and enjoy yet another stunning sunset. Even on the more dreich days, it is still pretty unbeatable watching the dark clouds loom over you as you sit wrapped up with a cup of tea and a teacake. There isn’t a better way to relax after a rewarding day exploring on the water. With the unpredictable wind and weather, it is difficult to make plans and stick rigidly to them. Often we will need to consult the charts and set a more realistic course and destination. I’ll admit this initially stressed me out. However, I’ve learnt to embrace the uncertainty, especially when there isn’t actually anywhere unpleasant that we could end up. It is this unforgettable, irreplaceable feeling that lures me back so often. I have dreamt of living on these islands, amongst the rugged Hebridean landscape, for as long as I can remember. It is what has kept me sane during all the uncertainty of life, lockdown and exams. Knowing that one day, I will head out west and never look back.

This is also the reality of studying with ScotGEM. It is near impossible to make long term plans as you bounce all over the country throughout all four years of your degree. Being able to go sailing and escape the uncertainties of ScotGEM, I can keep my eye on the horizon and my ultimate destination. I remind myself of the larger long term goal that one day, rather than heading to the West Coast to recharge my batteries and relax, every day will be spent living there. Having these adventures, both big and small, has allowed me to appreciate that I can’t change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. Literally and figuratively.

Eilidh is a current Year 2 ScotGEM student, check out more of her photos from the water below!