Ushering in a new era for ScotGEM stories

Hello from your new team of editors at ScotGEM stories! To start off the 2022/2023 academic year we thought we would introduce ourselves so you all know a little bit about us and why we chose ScotGEM.

Firstly, Amber: “Whilst my family are Belgian, I was born and raised in Scotland. Before ScotGEM I studied sports physiology in Aberdeen and I chose to study ScotGEM as the course was a perfect combination of my interests which included Scotland, travel, the great outdoors, and of course medicine! I love that you can witness a C-section in the morning then go wild swimming in Loch Ness in the afternoon. Work life balance is a priority for me and Scotland gives you that, especially on ScotGEM.”

Next, Lydia: “I am South African, I moved to London in 2015 and have worked as a paramedic in England and Scotland. I chose ScotGEM as I have always loved Scotland, I enjoy working in rural areas and I wanted to progress my career in a clinical direction. In addition, I love the outdoor activities Scotland has to offer and being able to do placements in the week, and be able to easily access some amazing hills or lochs over the weekend (or even on weekdays in summer!) has been a great experience so far. ScotGEM gives you medicine, but with so much hands on experience from day 1 and the combination of these factors is what made this the ideal choice for me.”

Thirdly, Olivia: “I am from Aberdeenshire, and prior to starting ScotGEM I studied biochemistry and did research into nutrition. While working towards a PhD I realised that I wanted to work with people and make a greater impact on an individual level…so I switched to ScotGEM! I have a strong interest in GP and ScotGEM gives you that from day one. I loved reading ScotGEM stories when I was applying, it gave me a great idea of the course and I am excited to be involved in the stories that inspired me to do ScotGEM!”

Finally, a warm welcome to the new ScotGEMs, a fond welcome back to the continuing ScotGEMs and congratulations to the newly graduated ScotGEMs! We are excited to be carrying on the legacy that the original team created and look forward to hearing your stories soon.

Amber, Lydia and Olivia